Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I get an ISIC card?
- You can get a new ISIC card through this website (click here) or through any ISIC issuing point throughout Japan or worldwide. Click here to find an ISIC issuing point near you.
How much does an ISIC card cost?
- An ISIC card can be obtained for only 1,750 Yen (2,300 Yen through online and postal application). Your money is earned back quickly and easly, considering the average annual saving per ISIC card of more than 10,000 Yen!
How long is my card valid for?
- Your card is valid during one full academic year, plus 4 extra months.
My card has been lost or stolen – how can I replace it?
- Due to privacy regulations we are unfortunately unable to re-issue an existing ISIC card. New cards can be ordered online or obtained at an ISIC issuing point.
My card is expired, how can I renew it?
- You can obtain a new ISIC card online or via an ISIC issuing point.
What documents do I need to provide to get an ISIC card?
- Since the ISIC card is available exclusively to full-time students, a proof of enrolment at a school, college or university is required. This can be an official enrolment document, signed and dated; your school ID or your valid college card. In addition, we ask you to proof your identity via national ID or passport, and to provide a passport sized photo.
Can I apply for a card outside of Japan?
- We strongly advice all Japanese students to obtain their ISIC card in Japan, or via the Japanese online ISIC application process. Due to the inability of foreigners to read or understand Japanese characters, chances are high that you will not be able to prove your student status abroad and therefore not able to get your ISIC card outside of Japan.
What documents do I need to get an International Youth Travel Card ?
- The International Youth Travel Card is for anyone up until the age of 30 years. The IYTC card gives access to a range of travel and cultural discounts worldwide. To get an IYTC you must be able to prove your age with one of the following documents: Passport, Birth certificate, or an official government recognised identity card. Please also provide a passport sized photo.
What documents do I need to get an International Teacher Identity Card?
- The ITIC card is for full-time professional teachers, and gives access to a range of travel and cultural discounts worldwide. To get an International Teacher Identity Card you must provide a letter on official school or university stationery confirming that you are employed at a recognised educational establishment for a minimum of 18 hours per week and for a minimum of one academic year. In addition, we ask you to proof your identity via national ID or passport, and to provide a passport sized photo.
Who is eligible for an ISIC?
- Students engaged in full-time higher, vocational or tertiary education and students in full-time secondary education, studying at a government licensed educational institution leading up to a government recognised diploma or degree.
I’m not a student, is there a way I can enjoy ISIC’s benefits?
- If you aren’t a student, but are 30 years old or younger, the International Youth Travel Card (IYTC) is the right card for you.
- If you’re a full-time teacher or professor, you can apply for the International Teacher Identity Card (ITIC).
With an IYTC or ITIC card the majority of the ISIC discounts are also accessible. The ISIC Japan website discounts listing as well as the ISIC App allow you to see whether or not a discount is available to IYTC and/or ITIC as well.
I’m a part-time student; how can I get access to ISIC discounts?<
- If you study part-time and you are 30 years old or under, the International Youth Travel Card (IYTC) is the right card for you. The IYTC card offers similar benefits, services and savings as the ISIC card.
Is there an age limit to get an ISIC card?
- You have to be at least 12 years old to get an ISIC card. There is no upper age limit, as long as you are a full-time student.
I am doing a Masters degree – can I still get an ISIC card?
- As long as you are studying full time, you are indeed eligible for an ISIC card.
What benefits can I get with my ISIC?
- Your ISIC card provides you with a wide range of discounts and special offers – 42,000 of them at over 125,000 discount locations! This includes discounts on flights, trains buses and ferries as well as at museums, world heritage sites, bookshops and restaurants, whether in Japan or abroad. ISIC cardholders save on average more than 10,000 Yen per year, so we strongly advise you to always have your ISIC card with you.
Where can I consult the discounts that my ISIC card gives access to?
- You can find all discounts and benefits here via the ISIC Japan website, just click ‘Discounts’ in the top menu bar.
- The ISIC App for iPhone, Windows phone and and Android phone gives a full overview of all discounts, per category or on a map. With the App you will never miss out on a discount or benefit as the App will always tell you which discounts are near to you – wherever you are.
- Make sure you are subscribed to the ISIC Japan newsletter to be the first to know about the latest discounts and benefits that we have negotiated for you, in Japan and abroad.
Can I use my ISIC card as ID card or proof-of-age?
- In many cases your ISIC card does indeed come in handy when you are asked to prove your identity or your age. Rather than walking around with your Passport or national ID, the ISIC in many cases represents a safe alternative to prove your age or to visit venues that require ID.
Can I get discounts beyond what is listed on the ISIC website and ISIC App?
- Although nothing can be guaranteed, experience tells us that simply showing the widely recognised ISIC card at non-listed venues often leads to a discount or extra service on the spot. It never hurts to try! In addition, we always strive to widen our discount network. Should you have a suggestion or request for a specific, realistic student discount or service, please share this with us.
Are all the discounts and benefits guaranteed?
- The ISIC Card guarantees access to student discounts in general. With over 125,000 discount locations, it may however happen that in rare circumstances discounts are not granted. This can be due to a variety of causes, e.g. changes in staff at the discount provider, changes in ownership or other causes that are beyond our control. In such case, we kindly ask you to report the venue to us via our contact form, allowing us to investigate each situation aiming to reconfirm the discount or to delete it from our list.
Why is there an UNESCO logo on my card?
- Since 1968, the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation officially recognises the ISIC card as global proof of student status. This is visualised by the UNESCO logo that is printed on the ISIC cards. The UNESCO endorsement and logo give the ISIC card extra credibility and recognition worldwide as official student identity card.
My card has a 12 digit serial number, what is this for?
- Each ISIC card carries its own unique serial number of 12 digits, and a letter at the beginning and the end. This serial number is required when you want to access an online discount, e.g. a hostel booking or software download. It also allows you to register your ISIC App (for iPhone, Android, Windows Phone) and connect it to your ISIC card.
Was your question not listed here? Please ask us your question directly via our contact form.